Tuesday, June 18, 2013

My method of crate training


I have had several inquiries lately about crate training:

  •  How old is too old to crate train? 
  • My dog cries all the time in his crate, what can I do about it? 
  •  My dog tears up the bedding in his crate. How do I stop it?
  •  I am trying to house break my dog and I have heard that crate training is the best way to do this. How do I go about it?
First let me tell you my method of crate training.  (I will address all those questions in the next posts.)
   I start crating any dog that is new to my household, regardless of whether the dog is housebroken or not.  I just think they should have a place that is uniquely theirs.
   First make sure the crate is sized correctly.  It should be about as long as the dog's body and head, not including the tail plus a couple of inches.  It should be at least as tall as the dog's shoulder. The width will depend on the length and will be fine, whatever it is.  The dog doesn't need a lot of space, this isn't a place for it to get exercise.  The dog should spend most of its time in the crate sleeping and watching whatever is happening around it.  Put the crate where there isn't going to much going on....an extra bedroom or the laundry room is better than the living room, however when the dog is comfortable in his crate you can move the crate to the living room if you would like.   This lack of stimulation actually is calming to the dog, and you want a calm atmosphere when introducing him to crating.
   When I want to crate a new dog, I lead him to the crate, toss his favorite toy into the crate, say "BED" in a firm but kind voice and scoop the dog in behind his toy. I generally have to race to get the door shut before the dog catches on and tries to escape. I always follow up by saying "Good Dog" in a much higher pitched voice so the dog knows I am happy.  Then I give the dog a treat through the grates in the door.  I prefer to use the plastic airline type crate most of the time, but the wire crates work, too. I have had equal success with both.
   Dogs often whine or bark when they first start being crated.  That does not mean there is anything wrong with the dog or with crating him.  It means the dog wants attention, that's all.  Be patient.  Buy a set of earplugs if you have a soft heart and just can't stand hearing it.  It is a phase that will pass, I promise, unless you go in while the whining and barking is going on and let the dog out of the crate.  Getting the dog in the crate is a step forward, letting him out because he pitches a fit is two steps back.  Just wait until he stops, even if you think he is just taking a breather.  That is when you let him out...when he is being quiet.  Now the tricky part is getting to the crate and opening the door before the ruckus starts back up.  If it is obvious he is just happy to see you, go ahead and let him out.  Otherwise, leave until the next quiet patch.
   I suggest you do your initial crate sessions during the day.  The first day crate for half an our to two hours 4 or 5 times a day, that way when bedtime comes, it is not a new experience to the dog.  Be sure to leave him in the dark so he will learn to sleep in the crate at night if that is what you plan for him to do.  Also be sure to take all his water sources away early in the evening so he doesn't have the chance to "tank up" before being put to bed.  It will make it much easier for both of you to sleep through the night.  If he starts carrying on in the night, after being asleep for a good while, its a sure bet he needs to go out.  Don't ignore him in this case, but take (or let) him out to relieve himself.  Afterwards, put him back in his crate (don't forget the treat) for the rest of the night. Another bonus to starting crate training early in the day is that if the dog is going to be one of those that just barks to beat the band because he is in a crate for the first few days, he will be hoarse by nighttime and won't have nearly the voice he had in the morning.  Most dogs bark at first, and most of those figure out very quickly that it doesn't get them anywhere and stop pretty soon.  There are a few that take several days to catch on.  Be strong, this too shall pass. 
   I always give my dogs the opportunity to go outside immediately after I release them from their crates.  They are old enough to go for a very long time between potty breaks, but just in case I make sure they don't have to hold it any longer than necessary.  They seem to appreciate it.
   Having a crate trained dog will be worth the effort you put into it many times over.  My Caesar heads to his crate every morning when I turn the TV off in my bedroom before I go to work.  He is always waiting for me in his crate with the door wide open when I finally finish brushing my teeth and hair and make my way to his room to give him his treat and close the crate door for him.  If he had fingers, I am sure he would do this for himself.  He is a wonderful dog.

In the next post I will answer those questions at the beginning of this post, and if you have questions about crate training, just ask me in the comments.  I promise to answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment