Monday, May 27, 2013

My Neighbor's Dogs Chase My Car!

Do you have this problem????

If so, I will teach you to how to put an end to it.  Our neighbor has four...count them... FOUR German Shepherds that run loose.  That isn't quite as bad as it sounds, we live far, far from civilization and the dogs are a good 600 yards from a real road.  Unfortunately, the drive to my house and several of my other neighbors' homes cuts right through that neighbor's yard.  I understand completely why the dogs chase the cars going up and down the drive.. Two Reasons: 1) They are protecting "their" property, and 2) The cars are moving.

Those two reasons are plenty for a dog.  I know the owners try to discourage the chasing, but they aren't successful.  In fact, right now one of the dogs has a leg in a cast :-(.

I am just very glad it wasn't me or my husband who hit the dog.  They don't chase my car.  My husband noticed that a while ago and has started using my method to train them to ignore his, too.

Remember I said they had two reasons? They protect the property they feel is theirs.  That is something I wouldn't even want to stop.  They should be protective of their home. They are not aggressive, so  as long as the car stays on the road, they shouldn't have a real problem with that.  I have made it a priority to stop and speak with the neighbors while I was in the car so the dogs will get the idea that the car is not a threat.  Their owners are not afraid, or angry while speaking to me, in fact, we are on very good terms.  That helps eliminate the "protection" issue.  

The second reason is the one that most people don't understand how to eliminate.  Dogs Love To Chase things that MOVE!  It is a sport.  It's fun! (at least until one gets clipped by a bumper or hit while doing that "hey, let me run across the street in front of your car and chase from the other side!" maneuver). By the way, getting hit by a car only stops the chasing if the dog dies. They don't connect getting hit with having been chasing. How many times have they chased? Hundreds.  How many times were they hit? Once.  Nothing to connect.  Now, if they got hit every time.....that would make an impression on them.

It is really very simple.  Just stop.

That's right. Stop your car. Wait. It is no fun to chase a car that won't move. 

It takes a little bit of patience on your part.  In fact, you may have to repeat this exercise for a couple of weeks for some dogs.  But it works.  You stop when the dog moves toward the car.  You can open the window and say "NO", but it really isn't necessary.  Slowly take your foot off the brake and start moving again while watching the dog. The second he starts to move toward you again, stop immediately.  You will probably just creep by the  property the first time, stopping and starting, over and over.  But eventually, you will notice the dog starts losing interest in you.  After a week or so, the dog will recognize your car and stop even trying to chase you.  Unfortunately, this is a selective lesson.  They do recognize the car, and if you change cars, you have to re-train, but it is easier after the first time.  The dog kind of gets the idea that cars that won't let him run, just aren't any fun.

Try it.
That's right folks, If we can't RUN, It's no FUN ~Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment